1. Cut the ginger in half longitudinally, cut into pieces and tap with meat mallet. Together with other herbs and the halved onion, dry roast using the FRY program for about 3 minutes. Our guide is the colour of the onion, which should be dark brown on the cut. Prepared, we put it aside.
2. For the broth to be clear, we insert the bones into the pot and pour over with cold water, then we bring this to a boil in the FRY program, strain off, rinse the bones and repeat the procedure adding the oxtail. In the event that a dark foam appears on the surface as in the preceding case, repeat the process again, otherwise skim the light foam off the surface.
3. Then add the braised herbs, salt and beef shank. Set the BROTH program to 90 minutes. Finally season with salt or fish sauce.
Preparing the soup
Prepare the ingredients immediately before serving. Serve Pho in deep bowls.
1. Rinse the herb in water. Perilla is eaten with the stalk, only the woodier part is broken off (like with asparagus).
2. Carve the shank or mock tender roast (silverside, topside, top blade) into thin slices.
3. On a plate, prepare the mung sprouts, finely chopped Mexican coriander, spring onion in strips and red onion cut into rings. Add sprouts, coriander, perilla according to taste. Finish of flavouring the soup with lemon and chilli.
4. Soak the noodles in cold water for 1 hour. Then for approx. 30 seconds submerge the noodles in boiling water in a sieve and evenly distribute between bowls, where they will swell in size.
5. Place the meat over the noodles and add chopped coriander, spring onion and the sliced onion. Pour everything over with hot broth and serve immediately.